Sunday 1 July 2012

Mykonoooooooos July 2011

Mykonos. Why am I having writers' block about one of the most travelled-to Greek Islands known for its summers of booze and partying? Well I guess it's because I didn't enjoy it all that much. It was July, it was hot, it was uni-break for much of Europe. It was worth a look, but I won't go again.
 
We stayed at a campsite-cum-party ranch which was impressive on entry; complete with restaurant, pool, shop, bar, but the rooms were less than desirable. I'd never had more mosquito bites in my life and you couldn't sleep past 7am (even though you were home at five) as the sun beat down on the canvas and tin structure making you sweat out of your eyeballs.
 
All of Europe was here - school camp groups, and university students on holiday. Unfortunately for us they were mostly Italians. Italians who found blonde hair exotic and who were definitely in 'holiday mode' (aka; I'm going to get very drunk and grope every girl that walks past). While I did spend a large part of the week avoiding drunk and horny Italians, I still attempted to enjoy myself and get into the party spirit.
 
Spending all day on the beach lazing in the sun sounds fun, but when it's 45 degrees it gets old pretty quickly. Going into town was quite nice, the blue and white windmills are the most famous view of Mykonos, and the winding blue and white streets and little shops are quite lovely for the day.
 
At night is when Mykonos comes into its own. For those who haven't been on Tropicana (the all-day beach party) all day, its time to head over for a beach party. It lives up to the crazy things you've heard about it as people pour champagne down your throat, grab you from every angle, and seeing people getting intimate on the beach ceases to shock you after the first few hours. Look out for Elephant Man; distinguishable by his elephant G-string, he wanders around Tropicana with a microphone making such witty remarks as "Mykonooooossssssss", "We love Italiaaaaaaaaanssssssss", and "Who is from Australiaaaaaaaaaaaa?"
 
Then it's time for one of Mykonos' myriad of clubs. Cavo Paradiso is one of the most famous; you will have seen it in the Wog Boy sequel (apparently - I'm hoping you haven't watched it) and is complete with a pool and overlooks the ocean. I can't say I was too into the music, or the crowd, or the club itself, but you can't go to Mykonos without going to Cavo Paradiso; again, 'apparently'.
 
There are a number of other Ibiza-style super-clubs like this, but in my opinion at least you'll have more fun at one of the bars or smaller clubs in town. Much more atmosphere, and drinks aren't 20 euro (Well, given the Greek economy at the moment, they may be).
 
I hate to trash Greece while they could so desperately use your dollar, but Mykonos really wasn't for me. Santorini and other less party-esque islands are said to be amazing, and Athens has the most amazing history in the world, but unless what I have described above appeals to you, the perhaps give Mykonos a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment